Aquaflex® A Waterproof Acoustic Installation System That Offers Moisture/pH Control
Moisture vapor emission rate and pH studies were conducted in accordance with ASTM F1869, often referred to as the Calcium chloride test. The results, were surprising considering the application of the Aquaflex® adhesive utilized the Gundlach CBD trowel notch (also developed by Formulators) having a 9/64” notch spread and coverage of approximately 235sf/gal. The application resulted in 30% less adhesive applied than typical trowel notch sizes recommended for VCT.
Moisture vapor emission rate (MVER)The moisture vapor emitted from a concrete slab is measured in pounds per ASTM F1869. This measurement is the equivalent weight of water evaporating from 1000 ft2 of concrete surface in a 24hr period.
In a recent test, we asked the question, “Could Aquaflex potentially control MVER.” We know Aquaflex is:
1. Not sold as moisture mitigation
2. Allows moisture to emit from the concrete
Both of these statements are TRUE. But the question is, does Aquaflex serve to reduce MVER and act as a moisture vapor suppressant?
“In order to test the Aquaflex adhesive film for moisture control properties, we first created a 3-inch-thick slab with a mix designed specifically to allow high MVER. Second, we coated one side with Aquaflex using our CBD notch and smoothed the adhesive flat to mimic a wet set installation (Fig.1)””, said Benny Dickens CEO/Founder of Formulators and inventor of Aquaflex®. “The concrete slab was then suspended in water where CaCl kits were placed to measure simultaneously, avoiding any liquid water contamination (Fig. 2).”
“After 72hrs we pulled the Calcium chloride disks and weighed for moisture gain. The side without adhesive measured 12.69lbs at pH 10, but to our surprise the Aquaflex film side gave us only 4.37lbs with a neutral pH 7!”, explained Mr. Dickens. “Aquaflex alone functioned to reduce MVER by nearly 300%. The moisture/pH control feature of Aquaflex is similar to many topical barriers. In this case, the barrier is also a waterproof glue!”
Aquaflex is NOT designed or sold as a moisture mitigation strategy, but Aquaflex does “CONTROL” moisture vapor emissions (MVER). So, when you’re asked, “Where does the moisture go?” the simple answer is that the moisture is allowed to pass but at a reduced and controlled manner within flooring manufacturer’s recommendation.
Key provisions of the Aquaflex Waterproof Acoustic Installation System:
- Silica-Free… Aquaflex system includes SILICA-Free concrete repair products
- Acoustic Strategy… provides sound attenuation qualifying IBC 2006, Sec 1207, IIC(50) and STC(50)
- Fast… accomplish one night what takes 2 days with epoxy mitigation
- Cost Effective… eliminates the cost and labor associated with epoxy mitigation or rolled barriers
- GREEN... Aquaflex is GREEN, non-hazardous, Zero VOC, having bio-based, sustainable content
- Safe... is safe for interior environments in schools, passes IAQ 01350 contributing LEED®*
- Unparalleled Performance... warranted to an UNLIMITED moisture and pH level, top to bottom